Wednesday, January 29, 2014

It's Just A Race.

We got back home yesterday afternoon.  Already had the room booked at Fortune Bay so decided to spend the night.  Around 3 in the morning I got up to use the bathroom.  Our room overlooked the finish line.  Looking out I saw a light slowly moving in.  It ended up being Jay Petervary walking his bike in (frozen hub) for 1st place.  Not until 3:15 am!!!  What a slow, hard race.

I will say that next time I quit a race it would be nice if everyone else would quit too!  I had some bumming moments yesterday but am over it now.  Already looking forward to some dirt, gravel, and cross...but not before some more snow!

The biggest lesson I learned out of this is slow and steady is the way to go.  Turn it down a notch, don't overheat, and keep plugging along.  Second place was won with a 7.5 mph average.  I just wasn't ready both mentally and physically...and both played off each other.  Mistakes were made.

Major props to all the race starters and more so finishers.  Impressed.

Not sure what I have coming up.  I'm not signed up for anything.  I feel like cutting back on the gravel rides.  Hope to do a few mountain bike series races.  Maybe the Lutsen 99er.  And of course, cyclocross!

Later.

No comments: